PCMCH, in partnership with Lung Health Foundation, has released an updated version of the Clinical Handbook for Paediatric Asthma. This handbook is a compendium of the rationale and clinical consensus for emergency department (ED) and in-patient management of paediatric asthma. The handbook:
- provides clinicians with evidence-based recommendations regarding management of paediatric asthma for the ED, in-patient episodes of care and for discharge;
- will help reduce variations in asthma diagnosis and the treatment of in-patients with asthma;
- promotes standardized assessments of severity and severity-based treatment;
- will help reduce inappropriate ED revisits and in-patient admissions; and
- ensures that, upon discharge, children and their parents/caregivers receive asthma management education and instructions for appropriate follow-up and referrals in an Asthma Action Plan.
Download the Clinical Handbook here