In April, 2017, the Provincial Council for Maternal and Child Health (PCMCH) approved a recommendation by the Maternal Child Transport Advisory Committee that CritiCall Ontario facilitate all urgent/emergent, referrals for neonates where consultation/advice, transfer and/or transport from a Level I to a Level II, between Level IIs or to a Level III, for cases where medical, surgical and/or diagnostic care is not available locally. This effectively expands The Neonatal Consult, Transfer, and Transport Process launched in September 2015 to include all urgent/emergent inter-facility requests for advice/consultation to a higher level of care.
PCMCH, CritiCall Ontario, and Ontario’s Paediatric Academic Health Sciences Centres’ Neonatal/Paediatric Transport Teams, are partnering in this provincial process, which is designed to:
- Expand service through CritiCall Ontario to all neonates where consultation/advice, transfer and/or transport from a Level I to a Level II, between Level IIs or to a Level III, for cases where medical, surgical and/or diagnostic care is not available locally;
- Streamline the process for the benefit of neonatal patients in Ontario; and
- Maximize the efficiency of scarce and specialized resources required to care for this patient population.
This expanded process will benefit patients by ensuring that a comprehensive assessment is conducted to:
- Support the provision of timely advice regarding patient management;
- Confirm the appropriateness of the level of care required;
- Determine if a specialized transport team is required; and
- Facilitate timely transfer of life or limb cases.
Effective May 1, 2018, hospital-based Most Responsible Providers (MRP) in Ontario will contact CritiCall Ontario at 1-800-668-4357 (HELP) to access advice/consultation from a higher level of care for neonatal patients with an acute condition who are less than or equal to 28 days of age or corrected age of less than or equal to 44 weeks, and/or less than or equal to 5kg, and for whom medical, surgical and/or diagnostic care is not available locally.
CritiCall Ontario will act as a single point of contact for hospital-based Most Responsible Providers to engage with consulting neonatologists from Ontario’s designated paediatric hospitals and neonatal-paediatric transport teams to support efficient and effective access to the level of care required for their patients.
The Maternal-Child Transport Advisory Committee will lead an evaluation of this process after six months to assess effectiveness and opportunities for further development. We look forward to the opportunity to better track and manage timely access to neonatal consultation and transport team support through the engagement of CritiCall Ontario in all referrals.
For questions, please contact email@example.com.